In 2001, Rob Alling, the current owner of the Kenmore Inn, purchased the business. After several stages of renovations, the grounds and structure are in pristine condition with a full bar and restaurant on the garden level, dining and common spaces on the main level, and nine guest rooms upstairs.
Edward and Alice Bannan purchased the Kenmore Inn in 1986. The Bannans made several additions like refinishing the garden level in the Kenmore Pub by building the Sunken Patio Garden and Garden Room.
After the war, the home remained as a family dwelling until 1931, with some of Virginia’s most prestigious families living there, including Alexander Phillips, Thomas Knox, and Samuel Gordon Wallace. In 1931, the house was sold to James T. Horton. Horton made major additions to the structure, adding on a rear wing and an underground garage. He then opened a small hotel known as the “Kenmore Tavern”. Horton sold the property to his sister, Harriet Elizabeth Vandenburg Hall in 1933. For years, Mrs. Hall continued to operate the property as a small hotel and boarding house. The lower level of Kenmore was leased to Mr. Charles Lakey, who operated the Kenmore Coffee Shop there from 1939 to 1978.
During the Great Fredericksburg Fire in 1807, 1201 Princess Anne Street burned to the ground. Records indicate that she was rebuilt in 1824 with the interior woodwork and exterior appearance modled after that of an existing building at 1200 Princess Anne. This is the first mention of a structure at 1200 Princess Anne, though most historians have agreed that the home was built circa 1793. The Stanard family conveyed the property to Rebecca Lomax in 1819. December 13, 1862 began the Battle of Fredericksburg. Though heavily shelled, the house stood strong and remained intact. Within its walls, Union soldiers housed their horses on the lower level during the battle. Today, evidence of the shelling can still be seen in some of the roof supports.
The property was originally purchased in 1742 by Colonel John Lewis. In 1747, his son Fielding Lewis and his new bride Catharine Washington (first cousin to George Washington) moved to 1201 Princess Anne Street, the house directly across the street to The Kenmore Inn. In the January of 1750, Catherine died, leaving an infant son behind. Later that year, Fielding married Betty Washington, the only sister of George Washington. Fielding then built for his new bride the mansion, now known as the “Kenmore Plantation”, on the brow of a hill several blocks away. The lot of the Kenmore Inn was sold in 1776 to the William Champe Carter family.