The property was originally purchased in 1742 by Colonel John Lewis. In 1747, his son Fielding Lewis and his new bride Catharine Washington (first cousin to George Washington) moved to 1201 Princess Anne Street, the house directly across the street to The Kenmore Inn. In the January of 1750, Catherine died, leaving an infant son behind. Later that year, Fielding married Betty Washington, the only sister of George Washington. Fielding then built for his new bride the mansion, now known as the “Kenmore Plantation”, on the brow of a hill several blocks away. The lot of the Kenmore Inn was sold in 1776 to the William Champe Carter family.